Basic Builds: Arcane Staff
Welcome to another of our Basic Builds guides for beginner-to-intermediate players.
This build showcases the Arcane Staff, a mage weapon notable for its chain attacks, consistent damage, and mobility.
Here’s the full breakdown!
Equipment and Skills Used
Adept’s Arcane Staff
- Chain Missile
- A projectile that hits an enemy then jumps to a maximum of two additional targets. Deals most damage to the first target. All enemies hit receive an Arcane Charge, which can be triggered by other active abilities or auto-attacks for additional damage.
- Enigma Blade
- An area attack that deals damage in a cone in front of you. If you hit at least one enemy, you unlock an optional second part that allows you to teleport a short distance.
- Arcane Orb
- You throw an Arcane Orb that explodes on the first target hit, dealing damage in a large radius while purging all enemy buffs and silencing targets for a short time.
Adept’s Scholar Cowl
- Energy Shield
- Your Cowl has a defensive spell that decreases your damage taken while recovering energy for every hit taken.
Adept’s Cleric Robe
- Everlasting Spirit
- The robe's active ability offers a shield upon taking damage that makes you invulnerable and increases your damage by 20% for 3 seconds
Adept’s Soldier Boots
- Rejuvenating Sprint
- Your shoes’ active ability is a sprint that also heals you slightly
Adept’s Torch: Passively increases attack speed and reduces cooldowns
Adept’s Bag: Increases carry weight capacity
Adept’s Cape: Increases Energy and passive Energy Regeneration
Minor Poison Potion: Inflicts damage-over-time effect on targets and decreases their resistances for its duration
Catfish: Buff food that greatly increases Health Regeneration outside of combat, getting you back to full health quickly after clearing mobs
Journeyman’s Riding Horse: Brings you swiftly across the map while adding more carrying capacity
Pros and Cons
- Good clear speed
- Mobility and interrupts
- Suited to large scale fights (though would require different armor pieces)
- Low-defense build
- Issues when fighting multiple enemies
- Your Q-spell deals considerable damage to the first target it hits, while chaining onto two additional targets for a lower amount of damage. Each enemy hit receives an Arcane Charge.
- Arcane Charges can be consumed by using an auto-attack or a direct damage ability like Enigma Blade or Arcane Orb.
- Your W-ability strikes all enemies in a cone in front of you, dealing a good amount of damage and consuming any Arcane Charges for extra damage. Hitting at least one enemy also unlocks the combo ability Flicker, letting you teleport a short distance while becoming briefly invulnerable, but increasing this spell’s cooldown.
- Your E-ability throws an orb in a targeted direction, colliding with the first target it hits and dealing damage around it. Purging all buffs from the target while silencing it for a short time, it’s a quick and effective interrupt. Also consumes Arcane Charges for additional damage.
- The passive, Lingering Power, is a great tool for maximizing your damage, especially when fighting a single target. Whenever you cast a spell, it increases your attack speed and attack range for the next three basic attacks. Since you’re using a Q-spell with a very low cooldown, you can use this passive to take down tough enemies rapidly.
- When you’re low on Energy or need extra Energy, use your Cowl ability. For every hit taken you replenish some Energy while generally decreasing the damage you take.
- The Robe's strong defensive skill can be used to avoid damage. As long as you take damage in the 1.5 second window after activation, you receive an invulnerability shield making you immune to damage while increasing your damage output by 20% for 3 seconds.
- Your boots offer a sprint ability that can regain a small amount of health quickly, while providing increased movement speed.
- An enemy encounter should look something like this:
- Cast your Q to deal damage and apply Arcane Charges.
- Use your W to consume Arcane Charges.
- Cast your Q again to reapply Arcane Charges.
- Use your E-ability to consume these Charges.
- Recast your Q and consume Arcane Charges via auto-attacks, until your W and E come off cooldown again.
- When facing a single enemy, rotate between Q-spell and auto-attacks for max damage, using the W and E situationally or when additional damage is needed.