Albion Online Dev Talk - Faction Warfare, Part 1
Merlyn, the fourth major post-release content update for Albion Online, will bring numerous improvements and changes to the world of Albion. Foremost among these is Faction Warfare, an all-new system that allows players to join one of five factions based in the five Royal Cities: Martlock, Fort Sterling, Thetford, Bridgewatch, and Lymhurst. In this Dev Talk, Robin Henkys, Game Director of Albion Online, gives an overview of this new feature.
No time to watch the video? Here's a written summary of his talk:
1. What is Faction Warfare?
Faction Warfare is a system which allows players to participate in the conflict between rival cities on the Royal continent. It is part of our plan to strengthen the role of the Royal Cities and offers guilds, as well as solo and guildless players, the opportunity for Open World PVP on the Royal Continent without fearing the repercussions of the reputation system. Furthermore, it also introduces new resources, items and mounts that can be used by players of all levels.
2. How does it work?
Joining a Faction
- Players can sign up with the Faction General in one of the five Faction cities on the Royal Continent.
- While flagged up, players cannot enter the capital cities of the other factions, nor can they enter Caerleon.
- On the plus side, they are now able to attack members of opposing factions freely. There’s a complex set of rules governing who is able to attack and support who, but to break it down simply: factioned players can support their own faction and attack opposing factions. Blue players can’t engage faction-flagged players (and vice versa), while red players can engage anyone, including all faction-flagged players.
- While you’re flagged for a faction, your cape will change its emblem and colors to that faction's style, and you will be able to attack guild or alliance members who have joined different factions.
- You will also join the faction’s chat channel, which will enable you to coordinate with other players in the faction, form groups, etc.
- Finally, flagging for a faction also enables you to engage in faction trade missions, which we’ll cover in another video.
- Of course, you can also decide to leave a faction, which works similarly to changing your PvP status from hostile to friendly.
Faction Points and Standing
Being able to attack other players is not the only benefit of faction flagging - while flagged, you can also earn faction points and standing with the faction you’re working for.
There are three ways to earn faction points:
- Gathering / Fishing
- Capturing Outposts
- When engaging in PvE or Gathering/Fishing, the amount of faction points earned will be based on the amount of Fame gained. The idea is that players can choose to enable the Faction Warfare flag, risking open-world PvP in order to gain additional rewards in the form of faction points.
- Outposts capture allows players to capture specific locations in the world for their city, earning them faction points for every location captured.
- Faction points earned can be spent on rewards at the faction store, and they will also increase your standing with that faction. Standing slightly boosts the faction points earned, and also unlocks the ability to acquire better rewards.
3. Faction Warfare Rewards
Three different, all-new rewards can be bought from the faction store:
- City Heart Fragments: These shards, pieces of a powerful magical resource growing at the heart of each city, can be used in resource refining to reduce the amount of raw resources needed. They are also used as a crafting ingredient in some of the other faction items.
- Faction Capes: The first of a completely new line of cape slot items to enhance your builds.
- Faction Mounts: A new set of baby animals that can be raised as unique mounts by farmers.
In addition to these tangible rewards, there is also a new kill fame ranking by faction, allowing players within the same faction to compete with each other.
That's all for now - stay tuned for our next Dev Talk, where we'll take an in-depth look at Faction Rewards, Faction Trade Missions and Outpost Capturing.
- The Dust Settles on Albion's Biggest Battle
- Albion Online Dev Talk - Merlyn Economy Changes
- Albion Online Turns One
- 1 Year of Albion celebration deals
- Adhara International - Veteran Leadership | Beginner Friendly | Competitive
- [OOPS] HustlinHitmans [Reclutamiento abierto]